This project has received funding from the Bio-Based Industries Joint Undertaking under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No720695. The JU receives support from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme and the Bio-based Industries Consortium.
Objectives and work program
- Production of levulinic acid (LVA) from non-food lignocellulosic biomass in a demo-plant
- Conversion of LVA to γ-valerolactone (GVL), 1-methyl-1,4-butanediol (MeBDO) and 2-methyltetrahydrofuran (2-MTHF)
- Catalyst recycling and purge strategies for high recovery and process productivity
- Generation of all data required for engineering of first commercial LVA-solvent plant
- Development of biobased derivatives for industrial and consumer adhesives
- Life cycle analyses (LCA) and environmental impact analyses (EIA) to evaluate the performance of the biomass based derivatives